Thursday, March 10, 2011

"It's Always Summer in California" Sangria

Sangria has never really appealed to me, but recently I went to Bodega wine bar and tried theirs. I asked what was in the sangria because I really liked it. I was disappointed to learn that it was bottled, not made in-house. So then, being myself, I thought,"Wow, it couldn't be that hard to make my own!" After a little research and remembering that I had a bottle of white wine sitting around that I wasn't planning on drinking any time soon, I went to work. And if I ruined it, eh, I wasn't gonna drink it anyways. Lucky for me, my "It's Always Summer in California" sangria turned out delicious!

1 bottle of dry white wine
1/8 c. granulated sugar
3/4 c. freshly squeezed OJ (try to strain out the pulp)
1 lemon, thinly sliced
2 small limes, thinly sliced
1 cup green grapes, halved
1 handful mint

In a large pitcher, combine sugar and wine and stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until sugar has dissolved. Add in remaining ingredients. Put sangria in the fridge and allow to sit for at least 4 hours.

When my sangria was done, I strained the the liquid from the fruit, then put the fruit in a ziplock bag in the freezer. To serve, pour sangria in a lowball glass with a large ice cube and garnish with frozen fruit slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment